Sonntag, 10. April 2011

Chapters 21-23 // "Goodbye" by Secondhand Serenade










The song "Goodbye" from Secondhand Serenade from the album "A Twist in my Story" which was published in 2008 fits only of the title very good to the last three chapters because this are the chapters were Jonas escapes from the community. But the rest of the song / the lyrics fits also very good to the situation in which Jonas is.

My Interpretation/ Analysis will be in the bracets.

So now I will give you the songtextwith Interpretation/Analysis :


It's a shame that it had to be this way  (this line can stand for his abrupt abandonment)
It's not enough to say I'm sorry           ( this shows a little bit of blame by Jonas , maybe? )
It's not enough to say I'm sorry

Maybe I'm to blame                         (means the same : look above , it is for the whole stanza )
Or maybe were the same
But either way I can't breathe
Either way I can't breathe

All I had to say is goodbye               (Jonas leaves the community so he has to say "Goodbye")
Were better off this way                   (with "we" Jonas and Gabriel are mentioned , this sentence
Were better off this way                    wants to say that it is better for Jonas and Gabriel if they
                                                         leave the community)


I'm alive but I'm losing all my drive
Cause everything we've been through
And everything about you
Seemed to be a lie                               (If Jonas were the writer of the song this stanza would be adressed to
                                                             his father because his father has betrayed him in the case of the
                                                             released people because released means killed.)

A guiltless twisted lie
It made me learn to hate you                 (for this Jonas hates his dad , one reason for Jonas escape from the
                                                              community)
Or hate myself for letting it pass by

All I had to say is goodbye
Were better off this way
Were better off this way         [ is also analyzed (look above) ]
All I had to say is goodbye
Were better off this way
Were better off this way

And every, everything isn't only
What it seemed so hold these
Words that you never told me     (this stanza expresses again the lies from his dad only with other words)
Its time to say goodbye
Its time to say goodbye
Its time to say goodbye
Goodbye

Bye

Take my hand away                 (maybe this could be a sentence from Gabriel because he should be released)
Spell it out                                ( this could be a "call" from Gabriel to Jonas)
Tell me I was wrong                 (this sentence also could be from Gabriel because he can asked himself or
                                                 Jonas what is wrong with him)
Tell me I was wrong

Take my hand away
Spell it out
Tell me I was wrong                 [also analysed (look above) ]
Tell me I was wrong

Take my hand away
Spell it out
Tell me I was wrong
Tell me I was wrong



Sources :
Songtext :
http://www.songtexte.com/uebersetzung/secondhand-serenade/goodbye-deutsch-bd6ad26.html by Secondhand Serenade

video from Youtube.

1 Kommentar:

  1. I did not know this song so thanks for giving the lines and dropping the youtube video. I agree with your statement that it fits to Jonas' thoughts and feelings connected to his decision to leave the community and therefore say "Goodbye". Maybe you could have also had a look at stylistic devices for an analysis.. but hey.

    AntwortenLöschen