Sonntag, 10. April 2011

Song "FEEL" by Robbie Williams + Interpretation/Analysis --> Chapter 16/17












The song "Feel" by Robbie Williams from the album "Escapology" which was published 2002 was the most successful song of Robbie Williams.

First I will post the Songtext to "FEEL" for you for a better comprehension:


Come and hold my hand
I wanna contact the living
Not sure I understand
This role I've been given

I sit and talk to God
And he just laughs at my plans
My head speaks a language
I don't understand
I just want to feel real love
Feel the home that I live in
'Cause I got too much life
Running through my veins
Going to waste
I don't want to die
But I ain't
keen on living either
Before I fall in love
I'm preparing to leave her
I scare myself to death
That's why I keep on running
Before I've arrived
I can see myself coming
I just want to feel real love
Feel the home that I live in
'Cause I got too much life
Running through my veins
Going to waste
And I need to feel real love
And a life ever after
I cannot give it up

I just want
to feel real love
Feel the home that I live in
I got too much love
Running through my veins
To go to waste
I just wanna feel real love
In a life ever after
There's a hole in my soul
You can see it in my face
It's a real big place
Come and hold my hand
I want to contact the living
Not sure I understand
This role I've been given
Not sure I understand
Not sure I understand
Not sure I understand
Not sure I understand


In my opinion the song " Feel" by Robbie Williams fits very good to chapters 16 and 17/to the book and the situation of Jonas because Jonas get to know more FEELings and he get to know the in our community/life most important feeling "LOVE" . In this song Robbie talks about " this role I've been giving" and about feeling the love and so on.
I have marked the most important lines , means the lines which fits very good to Jonas feelings , big.

The first part expresses Jonas feeling of beeing the new "Receiver of the Memory" which he gets by the ceremony.
The lines "Come and hold my hand
              I wanna contact the living" 
can express the first training by the Giver.
the " Come and hold my hand" can stand for the hands from the Giver of Jonas back when he wants to give him the (first) memory "I wanna contact the living" can stand for getting the memories which Jonas receives and will receive.
The second part expresses Jonas feelings about love for example that he loves Asher and Fiona and that they can't love him back this is very hurtful for Jonas. Of course Jonas "needs to feel love and he cannot give it up". The "home" in the song can stand for the communtíty/family/parents  in Jonas world/community because in chapter 16/17 we get to know that Jonas asks his parents if they love him.Robbie say in his song that he "want(s) to feel the home that  live in".
The line  "  'Cause I got to much life" can mean that it is to much for Jonas or the memories are to much for him.
I just wanna feel real love
In a life ever after
There's a hole in my soul

---> This part means that of course Jonas wants to feel love and get love from the others but he can't get it.
The life even after could be the community which Jonas wants have because in the chapters 16 and 17 we get to know that Jonas will change some things in the community.--> So this can be "The life even after". Another Interpretation for "The life even after" can be the life after when the parents have to go their children away because they are now adults.After this the parents aren't allowed to have contact with their "children".
"The hole in my soul" this line can mean the pain Jonas gets by his training and the "pain" he feels as he noticed that Asher and Fiona couldn't love him back.
Maybe the lines which are telling us "Not sure I understand"(which is repeated in the song) could express Jonas feelings of some situations for example the situation with Fionas red hair (not in this chapters) is a good example for the lines because Jonas doesn't know how to react.
Also the repeating of the line "Not sure I understand" creates the impression of uncertainty from Jonas by the reader of the book and the listeners of the song "Feel".



Sources :
Songtext --> http://www.magistrix.de/lyrics/Robbie%20Williams/Feel-47318.html

and Youtube for the Video.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Katharina,

    as I've seen RW performing this song live on stage some years ago in Dresden, this is a special song to me as well. I had not been aware of the fact that the songtext actually fits that well with the elements of Lowry's novel. It's cool that you have realized and given the video plus the songtext as well as a detailed analysis of in how far the text goes with Jonas' feelings. Well done!

    Languagewise, some remarks:
    - mind the 3rd person singular -s in the present tense !!!
    - use the <<'s>> to mark a genitive (e.g. Jonas' feelings, Lily's elephant); check for the rules.
    - if = falls; whether = ob!!!
    - being is spelled with on "e" only.

    AntwortenLöschen