Freitag, 1. April 2011

Why is the book in English called "The Giver"? and in German called "Hüter der Erinnerungen" (english:. The Receiver of Memory)

In chapter 11 we get to know that Jonas should call the "receiver of the Memory" "The Giver" . Before reaching chapter 11 I asked myself why this book is called "The Giver" in English and "Hüter der Erinnerungen/Receiver of the Memory" in German.

Before I reached chapter 11 I also asked myself why the book is called "The Giver in english and not "Der Geber" in German. But I chapter 11 I got to know that the"Receiver of the memory" will be called "The GIver" from Jonas.

3 Kommentare:

  1. This sounds like a logical question to me and I think you've found a possible answer here!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I am not really sure but I think that maybe Louis Lowry thought that the "Role" as a Giver is more important than the one of the "Receiver of the Memory" . So she prefers "The Giver" and the one who has translated the book in german thought that the "receiver of the memory" (Hüter der Erinnerungen) is more important than the Giver.

    AntwortenLöschen